Prayer Gathering for Racial Healing
Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
--1 John 3:18
Many of us want to do our part in promoting God’s unity and justice for all people, but it may be hard to know what to do. Through this page we hope to offer concrete ways to make a difference. Please check back often—we will be adding new suggestions and opportunities as we get them.
Pray for racially unifying efforts in our community:
- Sign up for Urban Concern’s prayer letter
- Sign up for Akili Christian High School’s prayer letter
Expand your understanding through good books:
- John Perkins: One Blood and other titles
- Eric Mason: Woke Church
Consider the Biblical perspective. Recently Dwell held its Prayer Gathering for Racial Healing, offering the thoughts of Dwell leaders who’ve spent years working on the issue of racial reconciliation. Watch the video of the event for some Biblical perspectives on the issue.
Volunteer your time at Urban Concern or Akili Christian High School:
Lead your friends in constructive conversations about the issue of racial inequality. Dwell Pastor Josh Benadum recently offered a list of suggestions, including these ideas:
- Encourage people to listen to one another (James 1:19).
- Resist the urge to be a "fixer" (Proverbs 18:30). We are not going to solve systemic racism in a conversation and shouldn’t try.
- Help people get their emotions before God (Habakkuk 1:2). God is more saddened and angered by injustice than any of us, and we will find comforting truth and wise direction when we turn to him (James 1:5).
- Preach the gospel (2 Timothy 4:1-2). We have a message that frees people from the cycles of bitterness and sin that perpetuate hate and division (Ephesians 2:14).
- Aim for sustained service (Ephesians 5:2, 1 Corinthians 16:14). Emotional arousal on its own won’t build a life of committed service to those in need.
Donate your money to ministries promoting godly racial unity such as:
- Urban Concern and Harambee Christian School
- Akili Christian High School
- Central Ohio Youth for Christ
- The Dwell General Fund, which supports additional racially unifying initiatives.